Thursday, March 27, 2008

Middling Middle

I had hit a patch of doldrums almost exactly in the middle of this cruise contract. Everything seemed boring, flat and the same.

Thankfuly, Amy P came onboard for a cruise visit last cruise, and it was great. In short, we swam with dolphins, went to the beach, went zip-gliding, laid around and watched 30-rock, movies and ate out.

It was all very chill and lovely....and so great to have her here. There's always a ramped-up intensity of emotions in this ship-life, so having a visitor who isn't in the cast and doesn't care about any of the stuff that seems SO important helps give a great deal of perspective.

As an added bonus, we got to see Jeremy on the first day of Amy's arrival---and that was thrilling. I really dig that Jeremy, and he's always so kind and curious about everything--and seems to really listen. He's good people.

Also, the day that Amy left I got some news from my family that put everything into perspective.

So, this cruise, I've been hiding in my room, trying to watch more movies, read more books and just enjoy the things I love the most....reading outside, walking and playing scrabble.

Yesterday in Acapulco, we FINALLY got to enjoy the hot sun and play in water---at a local water park. Murray, the magician onboard organized a big outing with some of the other entertainers, and we camped out in a VIP area, had beers, and rode on some kick-ass waterslides. Towards the end of the day, I was out on the wave pool, just floating alone, and the rest of the cast all hopped in and we rode the waves together. The water flowing all around, the pool full of local families and singing along to the "I wanna know if you'll be my girl" song that is the constant soundtrack to our cruise life---it was wonderful.

Then I napped, and headed out to have beers on a nearby restaurant with a terrace. I was joined by one of the acrobats, and sat and watched the moon rise over Acapulco Bay.

A lovely, unexpected, charming day.

No comments: