Tuesday, March 13, 2007

I love the Library


Saturday, March 10, 2007
Today was NY day. I finally found the little NY public library right off the port, and got a temporary library card. I tried to flash my impressive 15-year old Chicago Public Library card in the hopes of inspiring much inner-city book loaning cooperation, but the librarian scoffed at it and said “That card is no good here.” NY is a tough town to crack with my Midwest folksiness, but I’ve got pluck aplenty and will keep on trying. Luckily, she allowed me to fill out an application for a temporary card. I put my address down as “Norwegian Spirit, 50th street and 12th Avenue”, which is where we usually dock. She didn’t even blink and I scooted away with three DVDs (Coal Miner’s Daughter, Brazil and Silkwood) and 5 books (The Diaries of Adam and Eve by Mark Twain, A Dirty Job by Christopher Moore, The Little Friend by Donna Tartt, Anna Kaenina by Leo Tolstoy and Prep by Curtis Sittenfeld). That will fill these long sea days with some classic tomes and films.

And the library has free and strong wireless!

A jaunt up 10th led me to the Lincoln Center and a Barnes and Nobles where I cover shopped but did not purchase. A stop by Starbucks, and then I was back on board.

The spring weather put a spring in my stride, so I decided to lurk on the edges of the sail away dance party at Tivoli pool. I was highly amused to see Ray-Ray Wright dance the Macarena with his fellow cruise staffers, including NCL Spirit’s #1 party boy, Jay Pepper and our cruise director Julie. This picture does not capture his reluctant enthusiasm, but it was quite a sight to see.

I also enjoyed going by lady liberty, as always, and tried to capture the competing upheld arms of our on-board buccaneer’s sword with the upheld torch of lady liberty.

St Patty’s day is this week, so I expect this to be a party crowd. Does anyone know on which day the parade in NY will be?

No comments: