Saturday, May 5, 2007

Walmart and snacks

Tuesday, May 1, 2007
Wal-Mart! The crew bus makes 3 stops in Cape Cocoa/Cocoa Beach: Wal-Mart, the mall and Cocoa Beach. Since my friend Amy is coming on board this week, I went to Wal-Mart and stocked up on Baked Cheetos, diet sodas and nuts.

Let me say this, I really hate shopping at Wal-Mart. I feel guilty for shopping there because, as a card-carrying Liberal, I know they discourage unions and women aren’t paid or promoted fairly and the introduction of a Wal-Mart into a community will often drive smaller local businesses out of business. But mainly, all the choices overwhelm me. I won’t even enter the place unless I have a list, because there is just too much G-D stuff there. So, it’s hard for me to shop there. But, it’s the only place the bus goes, so my choices are pretty limited. Do any of you know if the conditions are better at Target or Kmart? Do we hear more about Wal-Mart because they are so huge? I’ve tried to google this topic, but haven’t gotten very far or found any unbiased evidence.

Anyway, Amy and I both love snacks and crazy diet soda combos, ala, Diet Black Cherry Citrus Fresca, or Diet Cherry Vanilla Dr. Pepper, or Diet Caffeine Free Pepsi (so you can drink one late at night but not be over-caffeinated).

I barely made the bus—I had to run and wave my arms to stop it. I had purchased more then I could carry and struggled with my bags. Thankfully, a nice man helped me with the three 12 packs of soda I had so carefully selected. I’m a pretty practical person, except when it comes to estimating what I can carry by hand. I always always forgot that pop is heavy or that laundry detergent weighs a ton or that I can’t fit 10 pounds of chicken, 2 cartons of grapefruit juice and a bunch of bananas in my backpack to ride home on my bike.

Thank goodness for Carly and Darryl, who helped me carry it all up to my room.

No comments: