Sunday, April 6, 2008

Good cruise, Bad cruise

Sunday, April 6, 2008
We are in Cabo today, and I've opted to wander and internet about.

My first destination was Senor Greenberg's, a mexitalesson, as they like to call themselves. The internet there is not reliable, but it is close. Plus, they serve Chilaquiles which sounded divine.

There, I saw Georgina, a Romanian from Shore Excursions, along with Redelpho I slaughtered the spelling of his name) , the Columbian piano player from the show band who is still learning English, but "plays like butter" according to another guy in the band. The trombone player was there, too, but I don't know his name or nationality, so I'll move on. In walked Minnie, a waitress from the Phillipines, who was looking for Chris, the US Bass Player. She sat down and poured her heart out to me about life, work, love, and then was out like a shot when Chris showed up. They were going to swim with the dolphins, and the dolphins demand promptness. Next, walked in Elena and Sasha, the Russian ballroom couple from the cast of dancer/singers. They are very nice, and are great dancers. In a few of their big numbers, they like to share a sweet kiss on the lips, and then Elena flashes around and puts her finger on her lips--saying "Shh! Don't tell anyone!" At this week's "Band on the Run" show, they were dancing to last dance, and they only kissed on the cheek. I speculated with Megan that perhaps they were fighting, but today, they seemed content and enjoying each other's company at old Senor Greenbergs, and Sasha flashed me the Thumbs up as they walked by.

As I walked down to Senor Sweets, I ran into a ton of people from the ship. I walked right by the YC Couple, because I didn't feel like chatting,

Then, I ran into Stan, aka, Mr. Motown, who loves Macs and manhandling me. It's nice--it sort of feels like how my Uncle Tom used to grab us and shake us and tease us when we were little. As I type this, that seems more horrible then nice--but it was very sweet and Stan has that energy. He did get a little rough, so I yelled out "Help me, this man is hurting me. This man is hurting me!" Stan stopped for a bit, and then started again, so I yelled it again and stepped back. He then said, "You should use that in your act." We get a lot of that---ideas to throw in our show. In the middle of the second show last night, Megan remembered that she had promised Dominic, a departing dancer, that she would try to work in a bit about a bread truck crashing into her. We couldn't figure out a graceful way to fit that in, and then Derek declared that it was stupid to try so we dropped it. Mostly, when people suggest bits to put in, I listen to them and then promptly ignore their suggestions. I think because we perform improvisation, they think we can just alter the words or pre-plan what we do. It takes a while to explain, and then they seem bored, so my laugh and walk away strategy works a bit better for me.

At the moment, I'm panicking a bit because I'm here at Senor Sweet's, another coffee shop, and I can't remember what time all-aboard is...and it's a long walk back on the pier.

I'm looking forward to not having to worry about all-aboard time, to having my own bedroom, to cooking my own food, to having constant internet access and to being with my friends and family.

I'm going to miss the sunshine, the shows, the crowds and the lovely music everywhere on the ship.

Back to the Star for me!

No comments: