Sunday, May 18, 2008

Coming to an end

I'm heading back home to Chicago after my little trip out west.  I'll be in San Francisco for 2 days, and then flying on my old favorite airline, Southwest to sweet home, Chicago.

Here are things I've LOVED about the road trip:
  • I saw a Coyote in Griffith Park.
  • Mount Constitution on Orcas Island.  The flora, the moss, the cedars and the color---I felt like I was in Lothlorian from Lord of the Rings.
  • I spent 5 days in Seattle with the Buchthals and AP, introducing that end of the world to beergaritas and drinking a ton of delicious coffee.
  • Portland. Everything about it. Since I left, I realized I know a lot more people there then I even knew.  Including Ramona, Beezus, Ribsy and Henry.  Plus, Stacey and Bob are going to open an amazing space with way-cool stuff going on in it. 
  • Vegas.  I spent an afternoon sipping champagne and gnawing on delicious buffet food that kicked the ass of the buffet on the Star.  Plus, a really decadent few hours on the pool deck chatting with double Liz(s)es--two friends named Lis(z), who have different spellings to their names but are equally dear to me.
  • Driving to Joshua Tree, and then hiking that dirty Ryan Mountain.  I cheered the wildflowers on to encourage them to keep spirits strong, even in the dry sand of the desert.  Keep GROWING little flowers!
  • My favorite moment on that hike was seeing a partridge momma and her little feather as she ran from a tree, across a little rise in the trail.  She stopped me in my tracks.
  • In Big Bear, I ate the best turkey burger ever invented---the meat was so yummy and subtly spicy, and the toppings were sharp cheddar, fresh fresh avocado and two strips of bacon on a wheat bread, with tomatoes and onions. Heaven.
  • In LA, LA, LA land, in one short drive, I went past the Capitol Records building, Mann's, Chateau Marmot, the Scientology Celebrity Center and saw the Hollywood sign.
  • Also there, I had de-lightful brunch in Hollywood with Meggers and D-town and they pointed out Patton Oswald to me.  Celebrity spotting!  I didn't know who it was, but it was exciting, nonetheless!
  • That night, I had a small gathering at Cat and Fiddle, and all the dudes I used to hang out with in Chicago are now in LA. I kinda forgot, I used to have guy friends my age who I did shows with back in the 90s.  Having them there makes me want to move, at least for a few weeks out there.  Pretty coolio.
  • I then drove up PCH, stopping in Santa Cruz (more of a crash pad then actual visit) and then drove the last hour or so along 1, which was beautiful, especially in the early morning, with surfers out on the waters.
  • Yesterday in SF Chinatown was pretty fun with dori and then today in Napa was really lovely.
Oh! I have so much more to write....so I'm not going to write about things I didn't love (like how sometimes driving and being alone was amazing, but sometimes just kind of boring, and how much I read, and how my camera pooped out on me right after Seattle, so I don't have any pictures past Seattle) because I am loving this trip and that I got to do it.

Thanks to all my lovely hosts and friends along the way---you all have a place to say in Chicago.

Off to bed....

B

No comments: