Monday, April 6, 2009

Oxford, sweet Oxford

Hello! I went to Miami U for college in lovely Oxford, Ohio.  So, this past weekend, my roommate "A" (and fellow Miami Alum..he huh hee hee-- words that colleges like to use) drove back.
Our first night, we talked to college kids about improv, sketch comedy and theatre in Chicago.   Our story is mostly this "Um, it's really wonderful. You may get paid some money.  Mostly, you have to do what you love and that will be it's own rewards.  At least in Chicago."  There was one who must have had a friend who got an ass-ton of $ in a commercial and had a dad who was putting a lot of pressure on her, because she kept asking us about auditioning for commercials. How many can we book in a week?  How long until we get a national?  How many hours will we work once on set? I mean, come on!  Girlfriend doesn't have an agent--I think I did at one point, in a loose association after I got pulled in to audition for "Blue Collar TV" but that was like 5 years ago and I thought the agent was weird and name-droppy.  I have some new headshots that I haven't even looked at because I am PMSy and I don't want to get upset by my own image.  Geez girl, take a chill pill!

Anyway, some of the college theatre kids had a sketch show immediately following soooo...we went. It was good/bad/long/wonderful/immature/creative and I really enjoyed it. I did have some issues with it:
1) I hate balloons and they had a LOT of balloons.  I also hate birds (they can defy gravity and I am NOT down with that) and loud noises.  So, one time, my friend "MK" said "Your worst nightmare would be if you were holding this balloon and there was a bird in it, right?"  She enjoys triggering conversations about personal matters and this made my head almost explode though at the time, I think I nodded and laughed.  Anyway, there were many balloons in the first sketch-play (they were all 30 minutes long, and there were three of them).

2) There was ONE girl in the show and she had the boring girlfriend part who was a bitch and couldn't possibly have a funny line.  Nothing slammed me further back into college like that---seeing that girl be stuck with those dumb parts and thinking---did she even try to write anything?  Or, do the boys write anything funny for her?  UGH!  Thank goodness for the Tower Players...which brings me to point 3

3) The dear Tower Players, my college improv group,  has apparently gone away. Sigh.  I was looking for evidence---but no one seemed to know anything at all.  I finally got an email from a current TP, and she was very cryptic and said "I don't know what happened" which makes me think she totally does. Which is fine. And, I can't re-start the TPs if they just died on their own---but it's so very sad.  I just literally sighed because I don't know what to make of it.  Tower Players---what should we do?  Please leave any thoughts in the comments.

Anywho, we then headed to a late dinner and drinks ($3.50 for a gin and tonic?  What?)  and then bed.  

More to come...have to go to work now....

1 comment:

Freddie said...

Were any of the kids from the sketch show ex-TP'ers?

Maybe some money will help them come back together. I'll buy them t-shirts.