Tuesday, June 23, 2009

Thursday, June 18

“Man Aunt Becky, you got some D” 

My nephew Ben, when I was guarding him in a pick-up game of three on three basketball.

Imagine the Kennedy compound, except this compound isn’t in Hyannisport and there aren’t private planes and fancy cars.  And this compound has a lot of kids running around, playing volleyball or basketball or bouche ball or kickball instead of football. And played out on this landscape is the competitive nature of three sports-playing sisters…who had all the same coaches, played all the same sports and all the same training.  And now, we get to teach it to the next generation…and see if we still have it.

 

Kitty, my bad-ass sister, is a year and a half older then me, so we are pretty competitive.  We get into each other’s face when we play basketball, we rib each other when we miss a serve in volleyball and there is no mercy when we get each other out in kickball.  It’s so fun! 

 

And then Beth, our older sister, displays her trademark “O”-mouth shape when she’s hustling/shooting/spiking. 

 

And little Jayna, wore kneepads practically the whole week there…and said at one point “Don’t mind my grunting” as she served the volleyball. 

 

I just wonder what they will all be like when they grow up.  I hope they don’t die playing football on the slopes of the Rockies or have affairs with their nannies or get addicted to drugs like the Kennedy Klan…but I do hope we keep kicking each others’ ass in basketball.

No comments: