Monday, March 13, 2017

The last Leg! It's the last leg!

Day 5

Did anyone see that Sting musical “The last ship”?  It did a tryout here in Chicago, and then went to NY.  So so boring--Sting rehashed the decline of the boat building industry in England--something that mattered to Sting, but I just didn’t care.  And I LOVE Sting!  The costumes and dancing were amazing, but enough with sad white dudes.  We GET it.  Anyway, there’s a song motif that keeps repeating “The last ship…the last ship”.  So boring. The lead’s name was GIDEON (not Gordon! It’s different, see?) and Sting shoved in a few songs from his Soulcages cd (“When we dance” was the most surprising---it seemed very out of place).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TbMY9lf58FA

Anywho, this last leg of the journey seemed the LONGEST and MOST boring.  Across the desert, through Palm Springs (I do love the windmills, and PS is a favorite spot of mine) and finally, into the sprawl of LA county. 

I was thrilled to past through West Covina (Shoutout to Crazy Ex-Girlfriend!) and I saw an Aldi truck, so that was promising, too!

I landed at my sweet little cottage/cabin in Highland Park, a hipster neighborhood in LA! 


I quickly dumped off pickle and the far too many bags I packed for a month away, and hightailed to a local mechanic to get my car underside shoved back up, and that mechanic, too, could not make the light malfunction in daytime.  It’s like a MYSTERY!  He helped me troubleshoot, and we figured out if you flick the light on and off, it eventually “sticks” and he also pooh-poohed the light bulb I had picked up in Texas (“You want the German one.  This one is no good”) I would have been insulted/skeptical, but since he shoved my car underbody up for free (FREE!  But I tipped the mechanic in cash), I decided to file away his notes.

I rushed home, walked Pic, and headed to week 2 of class at the Writing Pad.  I was in LA to test out the waters of the town as a potential home down the road, and take this “Sitcom Pilot Class”.  I knew I wanted to write about a few things:  Family, Technology and work, real middle-class people (I feel like it’s all really upper-middle-class families on TV nowadays---Modern Family, Big Bang Theory, etc.  It’s part of why I love Crazy Ex-Girlfriend so much---people have real jobs and real struggles. And I used to love Cheers, Roseanne, etc).  Anyway, week 2 of class was great---we did something with our beat sheets maybe?  A beat sheet is essentially an outline of your sitcom idea—you write down your scene descriptions, sticking to the action of the scene, not really worrying about the jokes.  In a typical sitcom, there is a really clear structure and it’s key to learn this.  Just like when I teach sketch, a lot of students will want to “break the structure” which makes sense---they are tired of the same old, same old. But even the most innovative/funny sitcoms still follow this traditional structure.  So, it’s important to learn---and what will “break through” is more your own POV, the setting and characters and situations you put them in, versus fucking with the form/structure.


Anywho, when I have my sitcom pilot done, I may tell you all about it.  But I am shy of sharing it!

No comments: