Friday, July 24, 2020

Why I'm going home (for now)

I'm really excited to hit the road this weekend!  Pickle and I are hopping in the old Prius (pri-pri as I like to call it) and heading back home to Elyria, Ohio.

My family is all there, and I'm here, sitting in my apartment, watering my plants, listening to pickle snore and barely going out at all.  I am still working (thank god) and can take a week of vacation to travel 2,000 miles east.

Everyone back home has been doing the mask, the distancing etc.  But they have backyards and barbecues and pools and each other.  Woe is me, sitting out here in LA...yearning to go home.

I've always had an escape fantasy where I go live in Ohio for 6 weeks...where I can visit with uncles more than once on a visit, go on bike rides to oberlin every Sunday am with my sisters, work on puzzles, and just get to live, instead of visit.

Also, I think I need to do some casual mourning of my mom, of the isolation of this pandemic, and have some bonfires.

Anyway, I'm going to be (in theory) documenting this road trip on the blog.

I've got a tent, a mattress and camping supplies in the pri pri.  Pickle's been practicing some crate time so she doesn't poop on her grandfather's floor (he's not her real grandfather, she's a dog and he's a human).

I'm mapping out my path, avoiding Nevada, Arizona, Texas and all the high level covid areas.

And I'm going home!
Easter: Made it myself, ate by myself.

Bruce, my father. He'll be driving me nuts in a week!

The last time I saw my dad!

Tad and Syd came to visit LA in February

These two are cousins/BFF and are the same age...

The OG Eldridge Posse

Christmas 2019 with the Gawens

Kitty and Paul: Same hair, same face (Bruce in mirror in background)

Dinner at the Eaglehawk/old Spring Valley (Bruce doesn't order food, and then eats yours.  Just one of his charming qualities!)

Pickle, contemplating the meaning of life and duplicity.

No comments: