Friday, February 5, 2021

Getting sentimental about push pin magnets

 Oh I remember when I got these!  These are really good magnets!  So bright and cute and I could finally have pictures on my frig after years of non-magnetic stainless steel!

I'm moving, and I now apologize to anyone who has moved themselves and that I haven't immediately come over to help.  (Virtue signalling y'all!)

I've been in LA for almost 10 days, and I'm seriously considering changing my flight again.

Yesterday was sunny and 70, and I was out and about and smiling in the sun.  I'm going home to Elyria with temps in the 20s and lower and wondering why am I moving?

I know why:  I'm broke, and can't afford this lavish LA lifestyle I live (you know, working a full time job, working a side gig, and more than 50% of my income going towards rent and work having no sympathy or equity consideration for my experience, contribution and such).  

I moved here almost 3 (!) years ago, and intended to interview and find work in ad sales.  Then the bottom fell out and mom died and I could only cry when I interviewed.

I eventually found work (mostly gigs) and then took said job (I was overqualified and underpaid but I loved the work) and then this global pandemic happened and then I got laid off.

Oh, and my dog died!  ME ME ME.

I'm really lucky: I have a safe place to land, I can crash at my dad's for a bit, get time with my family in OHIO etc.  But man, I'm staring up at those pushpin magnets, looking at my beautiful mid-century desk waiting for someone to acknowledge it's value, glancing at my little outdoor space, sitting in my comfy club chair and I'm definitely feeling sentimental.

No comments: