Friday, January 29, 2021

Finally, something to write about!

 I sat down the other day and started a blog about my dad, and deer and my dead mom and then got BORED with even my own thoughts!  Thank goodness I'm now in LA, and sitting in my mostly empty apartment, doing and doing and doing things.

(Though to tell the truth, the thing I most want to be doing is sipping coffee and watching videos of Queen Elizabeth, I know I really need to get up, and take out the garbage, take out the recycling, etc).

My mission here in LA:  fit as much as I can into a storage cube, purge anything I don't love and sell some shit for much-needed cash, because my ass is broke.

I needed to do this on the cheap, so I recruited two beefy nephews to fly out with me.  It was their first flight, and though they like to play it cool, they really enjoyed the novelty of the plane taking them off "Like the dragster"), landing in LA ("Bro, I can see myself living here" and we were only in the airport), and were very patient in helping me.

They got a kick out of the pool and hot tub, and were amazing little helpers.  We drove past two of their favorite YouTubers ("You wouldn't know them Aunt Becky, they do pranks and are gamers and stuff"), and they saw one of the cast members ("It's Pat, he's the dad.  PAT PAT PAT!  What's up? You busy?").

They told me about their favorite foods, drinks and some fun dishing of their brothers.  They sometimes were a bit intimidated, like when we went to Grand Central Market, and they didn't know what to order from the various stands of different cuisine ("Bro, you're supposed to try something new in a place like this").  So, I went up to my favorite mexican spot and ordered quesadilla, and one ordered the exact thing and then the other got brave and ordered a burrito ("It's really good.  And huge").

I meant to cook for them, but the packing and moving was exhausting, so we did a Burger Tour for fun.

FatBurger, Carl's Junior, In n Out ("I just called it Inside Out burger, I don't know why I did that"), maybe Jack in the Box?  And then, they'd still be hungry, so they'd order pizza at night, after working out and after moving a bunch of crap for me.

We went to Santa Monica and even though it was windy as fuck, they got some good pictures. I wanted to go on scooters, but one of them said "That's not my thing" and the other said "Don't be a baby".

We also went to UCLA ("Those fraternity houses are like mansions") and the Rose Bowl ("It's ok, kind of old"), Universal City Walk and walked by Bubba Gump ("I really like shrimp") and went into the Harry Potter store where I forced them to buy their mom an early birthday gift ("I guess she'd like that") and also Rodeo Drive ("Look, Channel"..."It's Sha-nel bro").  Both of them had a hard time saying Boulevard ("Listen to how he says it!"  "Shut up, you can't say it either") of which there were many to go see the Fresh Prince's House in Bel Air ("I think that's it?  Hard to know").  We went to Griffith Observatory (Me: "Do you know what an observatory does?"...Nephew "Observes"?  Smart ass) and I said with quite a bit of confidence "You have probably seen this in Rebel without a Cause, or LA LA Land or the Paula Abdul video...them:  "Um, no Aunt Becky.  Can we go buy Compton?").

And so we did!  And Hollywood Boulevard ("Let's go to Marshall's...I like Marshall's) and then down to the SoFi stadium and drove past the old Forum.

And finally, some shopping at DTLA ("What's a bodega?") as we stepped into a hidden shoe store designed to look like a bodega entrance and then The Citadel outlets that the fashionable nephew really wanted to go to ("It's all my favorite brands") and they didn't find much ("Nothing really to my taste").

Oh! We also went to Long Beach and saw the Queen Mary ("That shit is HUGE...I like Long Beach") and tried to find the house from their family tv show, Animal Kingdom ("That is not Smurf's house, that's a hipster bar").

And then I dropped them off on Thursday morning at LAX, and was super sad and super exhausted to see them go.

I know I bitch about my dead mom, but I realize how lucky I am that they had 5 kids, and 4 of those 5 kids had 16 kids so it's pretty much free child labor for me.  (Don't get me wrong, I paid them and paid for all their food).  But, thank god for family that I love and a free house to stay at so I can give up my super-expensive place for a bit and try to catch up financially.


No comments: