Tuesday, January 12, 2021

FREE FREE LIVING ON THE DOLE!

 My ass was laid off on Friday!  I wish I could have recorded my face because I was completely and utterly surprised.  My boss pulled a good one: he knew for a while and overshared that there would be layoffs, but went ahead and gave me a bonus and a positive performance review.  And then, he set up a fake meeting with the head of our LA office and told me.  The head of our LA office didn't bother to turn on his video (weird? was it pre-planned?) and I literally had my to-do list, and was ready to take notes when I heard something about someone being laid off.  And then, it was ME!  

So, at first I was shocked but then I realized how boring and slow my job had become...there just wasn't enough work.  Plain and simple.  And now, day 2 of official unemployment, I woke up much earlier then normal and am dancing a literal jig (once I get my bra on) and have a new to-do list (food stamps!  FSA!  Debt Relief!).  

I'm happy happy happy in a way I haven't felt in a long time.

This kick in the butt will force me to get out of my LA apartment and settle into Ohio for a while.

PLUS, my dad leaves tomorrow for Florida so I can have the whole house to myself for a bit.

(I mean, he's good company but he's a definite personality, and girlfriend likes her quiet sometimes.)

I'm trying to think of it like a writing retreat--and the setting is certainly perfect for that.  A cabin in the woods with great views, a fireplace, affordable (free) and time to save some much-needed cash.

It'll be a self-imposed period of austerity.

Anyway, have to sort out taxxes, unemployment, job hunting, etc but for now I"M FREE!!!!

No comments: