Wednesday, January 13, 2021

Our Abbey is not be used as an escape

Is today Wednesday?  I set my alarm super early to get up and say goodbye to my dad as he heads to Florida.

He was so excited last night--- checking items off his packing list, bustling around, showing off his neatly folded new shirts for his skinny frame.

My sisters Beth, Kitty and I would yell out--where's the blue sweater and he'd dig down and lift the shirts to show us his new sweater.  He loves this new sweater---he got it to mimic the sweater he's wearing in a picture with my mom.  I think it was the day they got engaged but my dad doesn't remember the specifics.  It's certainly Christmas, and at my grandmother Mimi's house.  My mom "frosted" her hair, and was worried my dad wouldn't like it.  One of my uncles told her "If Bruce doesn't like it, he can go right back to Vermilion".  My dad grew up in Vermilion, a cute little lake side town and my mom (and all of us) grew up here in Elyria.

Anyway, I woke up to say goodbye to my dad at 6a and he was yapping away.  I went back to sleep and then he woke me at 730 when he was really going to leave.  He told me "Remember what Mother Superior says in The Sound of Music?  You can't use this house as a place to hide away from the world."*  I was thinking, it's a pretty soft place to land and since dumbass work laid me off, what other choice do I have?  Continue to throw good money after bad in LA?

Anyway, he's right though.  I need to figure out what this is all about here.  Writing?  Dating?  Collecting unemployment?

For now, I tried really hard to be super lazy today and not do anything but I was compelled to write this blog, makes some calls and now I'm off to the doc to get my parts squeezed and poked and prodded and a flu shot.

*The actual quote is the title of the blog.  (My dad thinks he's uber catholic now because he wrote a check and was confirmed.  He didn't even have to go through PSR!)


No comments: