Monday, February 4, 2008

Ship Life

Well, we're back.

Loyal readers will recall that almost exactly a year ago I left the plains of Illinois and headed out to the MS Norwegian Spirit for 4 months, visiting ports of call in both the Western Carribbean and the Bahamas.

Well...now it's 2008 and I'm on the Norwegian Star, a slightly bigger ship, with an entirely new cast: Derek Miller, from LA, Keith Reay, from Detroit, Megan Kellie, formerly of Chicago now of LA, Mark Piebanga of Chicago and Tilliski Ramey, our music director.

It's really fun so far on many levels--being back on a ship--it's the same vibe--but this time I know what it means to be aboard--who and what the shore ex team does, why you want to get know the cruise staff, how to get internet cards, blah blah blah.

But it's so different, too. This cast is exactly half and half oldies and newbies to ship life (I actually hate the word newbies, but don't have time to carefully edit), and it's super-fun to experience a new ship with people who want to be there, and want to spend time getting to know it. I loved my old cast, but this one feels different--more willing to interact as a group. I hope it continues as we have had other social interactions change on this contract that may limit our crew interaction.

Our cruise goes to lots of Love Boat stops....Puerto Vallerta, Acalupulco, etc...and so far so good. We took a private Pleasure Boat around Acapulco Bay--lovely, fun, and a great trip until one of the JARS cut her foot pretty badly in the engine block. That was weird---she had this major injury and the boys of the cast took good care of her.

I'm going to go check more email at the lovely local coffee shop we found in San Pedro--but more to come.

Happy Dori???


Becky

1 comment:

DGold said...

This really gives me the ins and outs/day to day updates on what it's like to be "Becky on a boat". In case I ever want to be "Becky on a boat", I know what to expect. Yes....I am happy.