Saturday, June 28, 2008

Catching up

I've been pretty busy the past few weeks and definitely starting to feel more engaged with the world then when I first got back to Chicago.

First off, I want to recommend a show---"Campaign Supernova or something blah blah blah secondary title" at the Second City etc.  I saw this show on Thursday, with good old Homer, and it was amazing.  Everyone in it was really strongly represented, the solo bits were great, the group stuff, the lady stuff, the guy scenes, the thoughtful two-person relationship scenes, the blackouts, the giant puppets, the scene with Whist---it was all there. But, it was so WONDERFULLY well-executed and directed.  I mean, go see this show. I don't want to oversell it--but it's really great.

What else--I returned from Ohio, and had a full plate the last two weeks. I taught sketch comedy in the afternoon to teenagers at Second City. The first two days that I taught, I wore myself out! I came home at 4 or so, and then literally napped from 6 to 8.  I haven't exerted myself in such a significant manner in a long time, so I needed to get some zzzs, apparently.

I also saw the Swell Season at the Chicago theatre--what a treat!  It's the couple from the movie Once, and they sing all their songs, and then the Frames played some songs.  They invited a little boy who's version of the Hoover song from the movie is on YouTube, and he came down and sang for us, too.

I gathered a group of people to go see Andy's solo show, Sybil, at the SC Skybox.  Along with the etc, I highly HIGHLY recommend this show, too. Andy is really doing wonderful, unique, amazing improvisation in this show--he sings, he plays multiple characters, he does monologues and it's just wonderful. Andy doesn't live in any one theatre--he's never trained at IO, and has always done his own thing.  A lot of people don't know him, but then once they do, they adore him.  His Sybil show is like that, too.  It has a certain amount of people who know it, but then a lot more should be seeing it.

Oh my gosh! I totally forgot about the opening of LaughOutLoud theatre at the Streets of Woodfield!  Lillie Frances, a very funny lady and astute business owner, has re-branded, re-done and grand opened this theatre, and it's wonderful.  The opening night included a ribbon cutting with the leader of Schaumburg!  (He's not called the mayor, maybe the president of the village?) Anyway, he came, cut some ribbons, and was very nice.  Then Lillie and crew had food, three shows, and a champagne toast at the end of it all!  It was so much fun, and a pleasure to see so many familiar faces.  Go improv power!

And finally, I saw Liz Phair at the Vic, playing Exile in Guyville. I love love loved Liz Phair for many years.  I agree with most---her self-titled album kind of sucked, compared to her other stuff.  But, what I get such a big kick out of is that she will not apologize for it!!!  And why should she?  She probably spent an assload of time and energy and really likes/liked the album.  So, she says f-you to anyone who tries to call her on that shit, and won't be bullied by critics/interviewers/fans into saying that it was a sell-out.  In one interview in TimeOut, she turned the tables and told the reporter she doesn't even know what the word "Sell-out" means!  Ha-ha!  I love it---and I'm back into her again.  Lot of Exile in Guyville playing in the Eninger/Eldridge household.  

Today is all about reading in the sun, doing laundry and then an early dinner somewhere outside with Dori.

I hope you all are doing well....


No comments: