Sunday, June 1, 2008

Sunday, coffee Sundays

At home again, half-listening to a poet on NPR, while Homer finishes packing, Andy runs around from project to project, and John reads over something Andy's written, and I am savoring a cup of Costa Rican coffee.

Dori's coming by in 15 minutes and we're going to walk over to the Lincoln Square Mayfest, and then I'm going to see a play with Andy.

I've been to see a lot of shows since I've been back---I forgot about this routine of going to see friend's show, because they've been to see yours. It inevitably ends up being interesting and pretty good, but I also feel like I'd like the life of a muggle every now and then. These are holy shows of obligation (get it Catholics? Have I used that term before?)...I feel like I'm required, but once I get there and spend my $5 or $25, I'm glad to have gone.

This weekend (which right now, for me, is no different then my week, except more people are free during the day and the streets are more crowded) has been just peachy. Chicago continues to welcome me back with open, green-leafed arms and sunny strolls through nice neighborhoods. I went to see Sex and the City with Sniffen on Friday in Evanston. The theatre was packed and their were collective gasps at all the right places---show a baby--the audience would say..."Awww"....a man makes a gesture of love...."Ohhhhh!!!! Smith!!!"...or another man screws up..."Arrgghhhh"....I took copious notes for when I write my own romantic comedy.

There's been a lot of talk about whether or not a lady movie can have the impact at the box office that a gentlemen movie can. I frankly, don't give a shit. I don't even know why I started to write about it. Anywho, I really liked the movie. It probably won't stand under critical scrutiny by dude reviewers, but I don't like a lot of movies that are supposed to be awesome but are really just about men killing men for honor (The Godfather, Terminator, blah blah blah). Anyway, I've tumbled into another area where I can ramble and not really be justified and my argument will fall apart, so I'm moving on.

Yesterday was fun with helping Mark P (from the Star!) move and watching Twin Peaks and napping. Last night, Tre Kronor and play discussion with Amy (yes, it's still in discussion mode) and then Mandy's going-away Karaoke party (Beast of Burden and Dancing with Myself, thank you).

And you?

No comments: