Sunday, July 22, 2018

Dance Party

Have I written about our dance party?

Kitty and I were hanging out with mom in the icu.  It was just the two of us, and we were talking about mom's favorite songs. Chubby Checker, Sam Cooke, and her and dad went on a date and saw Louis Armstrong at Cedar Point!

http://jazztourdatabase.com/sites/jazztourdatabase.com/files/1966-06-25cpt.jpg

In the modern era, she loved Barry Manilow, and the stones.  There was a party bus that Scott Perkins arranged to go see the stones at Municpal stadium where the browns and the indians played, but I was too nervous to go.  So, she drove me separate and we met up with everyone.  We saw the Stones with everyone, even though I was such a baby about it all.

We danced and danced---she loved to dance.  I think Sandy Perkins was there---right Brad?

And goodness, Brad, he was all of our best friends.  He wrestled with Mark, roomed with Paul and Mark, and used to come in to Kitty and I's room on Cornell, and jump on our bed to wake us up "Get up!  Get up!".

When we went through pics for my mom's funeral, Brad was in so many family pics, like a brother.  He is our brother.  When Mom died we all said "How is Brad going to do?"

Anyway, Mom, went to the Rolling Stones concert with her nerdy youngest child and her favorite song was "Beast of Burden".

Good choice Mom!

I am listening to those opening chords---such a great song.


Anyway, Kit and I were hanging in ICU, and we played "Copacabana", then "Beast of Burden"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8On3UiBOTdQ

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=591d-XV5rEo


, and then her favorite favorite---CSNY's "Our House".

  We cried, and laughed and smiled. I think we also played  "start me up"


And my personal favorite:  She's Like a Rainbow

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SGyOaCXr8Lw


And then as we planned her funeral music, I talked to our church music director, and suggested "Our House" and he advised that it would be really RUFF.  It's a very evocative and emotional song.

So, we opted out, and did the standard Catholic songs---"On Eagle's Wings", and maybe "here i am lord" .  I can't really remember.  I barely saw her casket because I was trying to hold it together for the eulogy.  I do remember my brother Mark, singing and it made me want to sing, too.

It was wonderful--those last few days of ICU---we just kept talking to her and praying and giving her the scoop on everyone.

And we also played the video for "Waiting on a friend".


https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SGyOaCXr8Lw

 I saw Michelle St. Marie the other week---she's Kitty's goddaughter, and it reminded me that Mom is up there with her pals, and family.  It's such a wonderful video---have you all seen it?  It'll make you want to move to NYC in the 70s.

Anyway, it's hard it sucks but it's ok.  I get so many letters and cards and notes and I feel loved, and Andy came today and made me go out for a drink of wine.

And, when Amy and I were in London a few years ago, our Airbnb looked out over Mick's London Townhouse, and it was in Chelsea, and I went running (Ok, really jogging) to "You can't always get what you want"--there's so many references to Chelsea--so I tried to run by all of them.  And I took pics of Mick's townhouse, and maybe kinda definitely stalked the places he allegedly went to.

All of this to say--dance you all.  Laugh.  Smile. Go on trips with your family, get in to the kids' music like my mom and dad did----and, if you are ever able to go see the Stones, please do.

xo


No comments: