Sunday, May 3, 2020

Adventure? Adventure!

I guess I should mention that we are in the time of COVID-19 and the pandemic.  This horrible flu that eats lungs and causes death started in China, and then moved to Italy and Iran and then tore through NYC's suburbs and now we are all hiding from it.  Too many people need to be hospitalized, and schools shut down and we all are supposed to stay home, and only go out for essentials.  We can go on walks, but not to the gym, nor to crowded hiking trails, etc.  Everyone lucky enough to still have a job (like me) is encouraged to work from home.

Well, I'm now on month 2 and I live alone (though in a very friendly building) and today, we lost a family member.  It's my Aunt Barb, and it wasn't from the Covid...at least not that I know of.  Anyway, she had Parkinson's and other stuff, and had a horrible fall and broke her wrist last year.  She had such a strong spirit.  She seemed to have an affinity for little pickle...she used to have a beagle when we were growing up, Sybil. So, back in the day before everyone started dying, when I was home visiting in Elyria, my mom would take Pickle over to go see Aunt Barb and Uncle Tom.

I called her and Uncle Tom last week to chit chat, and she was, in true Aunt Barb fashion, only asking about me and Pickle and I could barely get either of them to tell me how they were. 
That was my experience of Aunt Barb to a tee.  Always asking about you, and then really digging deep...asking follow up questions and just the best listener.  I feel for her 6 kids, for my uncle tom, all the grandkids and the countless number of people who had her as a teacher at St. Mary's in Elyria.  And how do you do a funeral?  How on earth is that done now when we can't go to churches or funeral parlors and shouldn't...

So, I was feeling a little sad...had a wonderful video chat with the Elyria Gal Pals, double call with my sisters and decided to hit the road.  Which brings me back to this time of isolating physically.  I've been purposely ignoring the news in order to keep spirits strong when I can.  We lost another family member to Covid, and so it's just a lot with all the talk of ventilators, and respiratory therapists and ICU and all that is so similar to my mom's experience.  One system starts to fail, so you pump her full of drugs, and another system tips into distress and ICU was just haywire.

I know I shouldn't be risking myself by hitting the road. If there was an accident, that pulls resources from others who need them.  In fact, there was some kind of accident on the side of the mountain road, and half a dozen sheriff vehicles were there surrounding a steep dropoff.  But, dear devoted readers, that fresh mountain air, driving west and then up the mountain (am I in the Sierra Madres at that point?) and seeing view after view of valleys and peaks and a giant blue mountain lake...girlfriend needed a breather.  Pickle enjoyed it too...I think her little beagle nose was going nuts for bears, raccoons, etc.   I enjoyed the spring flowers, the flowering trees, and walking the back streets of Big Bear Village. I always find the backs of buildings, the alleys and the parking structures more fun than the front...and I was well-rewarded on this ramble, as I cleared my head, said some prayers for my family and found 2 beauties of pine cones.  I felt connected to the world, my heart was full of both joy and sucky sorrow...and Big Bear lake was beautiful.

I drove home before it was dark, enjoyed my favorite road snack (Chili Cheese Fritos and Diet Dr Pepper, with the Diet Dr Pepper at car temperature---mmmmm yummmm) and am now home on the couch.

Much love to you Aunt Barb--I know you will get to see your parents and family and tell my mom we are all doing great but we really miss her.

xo

No comments: