Monday, May 11, 2020

Happy Mother's Day

I woke up late and came out to the couch to wish Pickle a happy mother's day!  She's a dog, so I don't think she celebrates it much.  When I first got her, she had just been spayed, and they suspected she had been a mother.  She also had a few breast cancer lumps, so those were removed (she wears a pink harness to represent breast cancer awareness).  Anyway, Pickle was very sweet and wagged her tail and gave me one of her big pickle smiles* (Pickle's lips are shaped into a smile naturally, so I don't think she's actually smiling, but her tail wagging usually means she's content).  I grabbed my coffee and put my hair back in a clip and hopped on a zoom call.

It was wonderful---my BFF Kristin's mom, Mrs Roth,  was having her 75th birthday--so they set up a "surprise" party via zoom!  My other BFF, Amy, was on...so was her mom, Mrs Petersen.  They were our Girl Scout leaders in Elementary school, and were just wonderful. 

A ton of family and friends, and I stayed on the whole time because it filled me up with love and it was just plain hilarious.  Many of the people were of a generation not used to technology---but they were all trying to log in, and make the most of it.  The younger people kept their snide remarks to themselves (Ok, Amy and Kristin and I texted about it on the side)...and Mrs Roth, in true form, introduced everyone, asked about everyone and deflected any question about herself.  That's the way we were raised in Elyria. 

In the end, it was Mrs Roth, Mrs Petersen, Kristin, Amy and I.  I knew I'd start to cry if we didn't keep it jokey...and so we told stories and gossiped about our girl scout camping trips, high school and us not being good girl scouts to all of our teachers.  I couldn't help but feel there was one square missing on the zoom call.  But, I really wanted to soak up the love and affection and fun...so we told lots of old jokes and remembered the good times.

I don't feel as sad as I did right after my mom died.  I don't feel desperate. But I do miss her.  And I've been really homesick for Ohio.

Don't get me wrong---I have a really great job, an amazing community, and I'm healthy and able to pay my rent. There's plenty to be grateful for.

So, this year, on Mother's Day, I'm thinking of my mom. I'm thinking of my Aunt Barb, who passed away last week.  She and my mom are probably up in heaven, celebrating Mother's Day in a modest way, and catching up on the last two years.  Mimi and Pa, Grandma and Grandpa Walsh, Uncle Richard, Grandma and Grandpa Eldridge, Aunt Flo, Mrs France...they are hanging out and watching over us and maybe playing cards?  Or reading. 

Anyway, this generation is slipping away a bit..now we're the aunts and uncles.  And thanks to my mom, and all those guys, we know what to do to make it through this Covid and you know, deaths without funerals and the sadness of the world.  Just keep on charging on.  Write cards and send them out.  Make actual telephone calls.  Show up to people's birthdays, and celebrations and such. 

So, today, I was on a zoom call, I'll see my friend Tim and John for a little bit and go on a walk with my friend Lauren.  Yesterday I cleaned, and organized and wrote and worked on my puzzle and read two books.  Tonight, I'll read some more, maybe take a nap and think of all the moms who take care of us...

Here's a picture of my mom and Aunt Barb (and my sisters)

No comments: