Monday, June 4, 2007

Home again home again diggity dog


Monday, June 4, 2007
Home again home again, diggity dog.

Back home. The last week on the boat was really fun—we had a rocking Stardust show, a good scriptless show and a really fun Karaoke party on Thursday night, and then a long, luxurious last night dinner at Cagney’s Steakhouse with the cast. Final event was a bizarre last night in crew bar and then departure for home.

I always knew that the cruise was like a machine---every week, the same parties, events and shows. But I didn’t realize how non-plussed the crew would be on our last morning. We, too, were like cogs in the machine. Upon reflection, of course it’s that way---and I did make some nice friends. But, there’s a certain amount of cynicism that has to exist. I’m sure you get used to saying goodbye if you are on the cruise for a while…but it’s still fresh and new to me so it pained me a bit.

But, thankfully, Jeremy’s brother, who I call brother, picked us up and took us to lunch in Queens and then LaGuardia. Once I was in the air, I shifted from feeling melancholy to enthusiasm for my home.

Arriving at my condo, I was just relieved and thankful. I walked around and touched everything and chatted a mile a minute with Andy and was just happy.

We met up with Heather and Judy and the baby, and had ice cream and a long walk through my beloved Andersonville. Beers on the roof deck, overlooking the skyline and early to bed.

Sunday morning, I woke up, had coffee in a souvenir mug and listened to NPR. I was so thrilled to be in my pad and listening to my beloved NPR. Oh, Bob Edwards! I am not immune to your charms.

Cyn and Andy had a bbq for me Sunday afternoon, and it was positively great. Just the right amount of friends to visit with and hang out and drink sangria, eat burgers and relax.

Today, unpacking and laundry and activity planning. And now, sitting on my couch, Andy’s gone and it’s my first moment alone since I’ve been back.

It’s good to be home.

2 comments:

Hixx said...

Welcome home Becky!

Becky Eldridge said...

THanks Hixx!!! Hope to see you guys soon!