Monday, June 4, 2007

Just another day at the daily grind


Monday, May 14, 2007
Sea day oh Sea day.
Today represented a very typical sea day on the Spirit. I woke up at 11, worked out to Judging Amy (Amy is having trouble with her teen daughter Lauren, but her mom, Tyne Daly, provides wise council just in the nick of time to prevent Amy from making a big parenting mistake).

Then, I ate at the Bier Garten with Jeremy, and attended a lecture entitled “Mysteries of the Deep”. A professor debunked the myth of the Bermuda triangle and other legends of the deep. I like debunking, but I always have a compulsion to debunk their bedunking, just to keep it balanced. In this case, I questioned one of his slides that referred to “A Lake in Africa”. He couldn’t recall the name of the lake or the nation, but did say he had read it in National Geographic, turning to the audience of the Clipper conference room. Now, who’s the debunker and who debunked?

Next, I snuck into the boardroom, a fancy, seldom used conference room with wi-fi, and really comfy chairs. I stayed there writing until 5, when the Friends of Bill W came in for their meeting.

I wandered over to the main lobby, and caught the tail end of the taping of “Live at Five”, as I wrote the running order for our “Scriptless” or improv show on Thursday. Live at Five is the Cruise Director’s live tv show where they promote events and shops on board, give out NCL-themed merchandise as prizes and inject lots of cruise-style zaniness when possible.

Next, I chatted with a friend or 2, and then headed up to check in with Carly in our room. She wasn’t there, so I decided to go sit outside and read on deck 11. Jeremy joined me, and then we spotted a tiny boat off the port side. We watched it for a while, and then read some more. There was a really nice sunset, so we watched that for a while. Jeremy doesn’t like sunsets as much as I do, but will tolerate watching them.

Then, we decided to eat at Raffles, and ran into Carly and Brian. We all sat outside, watching the Cavs game (Cavs won!) I came back to the room to read some more, and catch up on the blog.

Tonight, we’ll go to crew bar around 11pm and hang out for a bit with our friends from the NCL production team, Crew Excursions and Cruise Staff.

Tomorrow, we are going to see the Kennedy Space Center.

This is a really great job.

No comments: