Thursday, November 5, 2009

Getting Laid (off)

I am not...not yet. But there are a bunch of layoffs in my industry (doesn't that sound so official!  Almost like how sometimes people call their neighborhood their "community" like "we should all be more involved in our community". )  Anyway, I'm trying to stay positive...but since I work in my industry as a highly-specialized temp---doing contract maternity leaves for ladies who have babies...when they start laying people off, it means less jobs, less (and possibly no) maternity leaves, and people looking for jobs...any jobs.

It just happened a few weeks ago...I was the finalist for a job and then another person who had been laid off in my "industry" was hired instead of me, because she was available sooner.

Or, that's what they told me to make me feel better:)

Anyway, that's totally fine and fair...but I'm worried because I've carved out this little niche that allows me to work 3 days or so/week for 14 weeks and it's slipping away.

And I know I could get a job job but I'd like to get one I like.  A lot.

So, I'm dreaming and scheming and trying not to be too down on it all...

If anyone knows anyone in these areas...here is how I am thinking of spending my winter:

--Interning somewhere super-cool:  Sundance, WBEZ, theatre producer's office

--Working abroad doing something:  Preferably, somewhere warm

--Living in LA doing something for money, and maybe "checking" it out

All advice gladly accepted!

Yours sincerely...

Becky

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Why don't you use that expensive goddamned degree, get a REAL job, find a freaking husband, and quit screwing around with this whole "acting" thing?!

Cheryl said...

All of your ideas sound great! Let me know when you figure out how to get one of those. :D