Wednesday, January 28, 2009

Baselining and Tailor's Buttons

I'm sitting in the third waiting room of the day at Illinois Masonic Medical Center.  I just had my baseline mammogram (fellows, line up, wanna hit this?)

I opted (and my doctor agreed) to have this a bit on the early side of 40 (the normal recco age) because of family history.

But I think, even more so I was motivated by a friend who was diagnosed and is now going through Chemo.  Said friend, let's call her "J", is recovering well and started Chemo today.  But man, she was YOUNGER then me, so it got my ass off the proverbial couch.

Also in exciting medical news, I am getting a foot ex-ray so a podiatrist can look and see if I have a bunion!  I wiki-pedied bunions, and my self-diagnosis makes me believe I have one on my big toe and one on the outside of the foot, otherwise known as a Tailor's Button.  Could that name be any more whimsical?  Like an old-fashioned tailor put a little button on the outside edge of my left foot---for fun!

Fellows, I know you are lining up now...for this gal with her mammogram and bunion---quite a cougar!

Oh well....I got a good luck at Uma Thurman's foot last night in the movie Kill Bill, and it looks like she's got a bunion AND hammer toes!  Take that sexy ladies!

I'm not so good at the medical stuff (i almost passed out when my sister Kitty, I mean "K" got her sonogram), so I often try to build in rewards for the after-care.

Today, as my reward, I get to eat a banana and go see an Oscar movie of my choice at Century City and maybe do Yoga at the Gym tonight.

Take that White-coat syndrome!

In the non-medical area of life--all is well...tomorrow I'm heading out to lovely Greyslake to see my old buddy Lori "L" and I've been babysitting a lot.  

Second City teaching is going well and I'm looking forward to vacation in Florida in a few weeks. Does this part of the post sound like the response at a cocktail party to the question of "And how are you?"

In all honesty, lately when people have asked me that, I've responded, in the most chipper, interesting and energetic way that I can..."Nothing is going on. Absolutely nothing.  I'm totally bored, and I've been going to the gym a ton, and watching tv, and reading and sleeping. So I can talk about that to the nth degree, but right now, my life is really really boring."

The fun ones let me talk about nothing and the ones who are thrown off by that response walk away.

Oh! They just handed me my "charts" so I'm free to go.

Which is good, because there's a lady crying in a wheelchair here, and another guy wearing only a White Sox tee (in this weather?) and a big giant face mask.  I don't need to catch what he's trying to stop spreading.


Woo hoo!


2 comments:

Carlyjayjay said...

Hey lovely,

I just had bunion surgery on my left foot on Nov. 26th. Still recovering; the swelling is still there a bit but man, does my foot already look more normal. Can't wait til I can wear pretty shoes without crying.

If you ever need to know the deets on bunions or bunion surgery, let me know!

Erica said...

Becky Eldridge, you are HILARIOUS.

Love you.