Tuesday, January 24, 2017

Happy NEW YEAR!

I fully admit there is a blatant ambiguity of topic in my “gig” blog.  In the past, I’ve blogged about getting a breast reduction, working on a cruise ship, feeling scared and lonely and making casseroles. 

Most recently, I’ve tried to blog about gig life. That blog topic kind of fell off, too.

Anyway, here’s the update on that end.  December was AMAZING!  In that first week, I was working a maternity fill-in, doing my first-ever work for Second City Works (SC for corporation), had an awesome Mind Gym gig, was doing some oddball work for my friend Jeremy and such.  But, as December went on, and then the holidays came, work slowed down…and then just dropped off.  My January Mind Gym gig cancelled.  The Second City work hasn’t gotten off the ground.  No maternity leave fill-ins in the hopper.  I started smoking like a chimney (DON’T TELL MY NIECES and NEPHEWS!) And drinking too much wine.

So, I decided to truly hatch my new plan.  I have always wanted to check out Los Angeles, and see if I could see myself living there.  There’s a lot of things that intrigue me:  the entertainment industry, the sort of hazy, 70’s runyon canyon and beachy Eagles vibe, 90210 LIFE, and I do have a ton of friends out there.

But, I am, admittedly, a WUSS.  I’ll dip my toe in what I want to do (write! perform!) and then just bail. You know, take a writing class, or get all excited on a plane about a movie idea, and then just bail.

Just like bailing on the blog!

So, I’m trying again.  The good news:  last time I decided to try something I was afraid of in my creative life (writing sketch comedy)---I reached my goals (wrote a shit-ton of content, both good and bad).

In summary, this 44-year old lady is heading to LA for the month of February.

I know what you’re thinking—“Oh, how brave.  Another white lady going to Hollywood to make it big.”  Or maybe that’s what I’m thinking. 

Anyway. I’m on a plane, I land in a few hours to go check out potential subleases “Charming Craftsman”, or “Special Guest House in Pasadena”.  I’m repressing concerns about transferring half of my savings to checking, so I can pay for this all.

I am optimistic that everything I’ve set up for myself since July will pay off.

Back in July, I quit my perfectly find day job to go 100% freelance.

I am trying to “work on my own self”, and pushing boundaries of doing new things 
  • I swam/ran/biked in 3 Triatholons, a word I can never spell, 
  • I rode in super-long bike ride with Apple Century in Michigan
  • I went to Cuba (not really a huge accomplishment, because I just wrote a check and booked some flights, but it was pretty amazing)
  • I am journaling every day (well, most days)
  • I am going on a shit ton of walks and saving money by cooking at home
  • I am waxing my own eyebrows and other parts

I hope that I don’t bail on this new LA adventure.  I don’t want to turn around and see 50, and be like---YIKES!

Wish me luck!  This is the most recent headshot I have--probably not good enough for auditions anywhere.  But, there is is.


No comments: