Tuesday, February 27, 2007

Steak at the Office

I’m sitting in the observatory, which is a glass atrium with seating areas, nautical knickknacks and a great view of the ocean. It surrounds the galaxy of the stars, and is a favorite haunt for over-hearing passenger conversations. On days when we are at sea, they pack the calendar FULL with activities. I’ve placed myself smack dab in the middle of a cha-cha lesson.

“My name is Christian, and I am learning to do the cha cha cha. I am from the Philippines Are you read to cha cha cha?”

Norwegian is really into showing off the international nature of our crew. In reality, I would guess that 80% of the crew members are from the Philippines.

One of the passengers on the dance floor is leaning on a cane and wears an owl sweatshirt. Christian asks:
“Who here is learning the cha-cha-cha for the first time?”

The owl lady raises her hand.

Christian asks:
“Who here has learned before?”

Owl lady raises her hand again.

Christian continues:
“One two cha cha cha
Two two cha cha cha

Very good children!”

The passengers are like children in many ways---they take naps, they eat at certain times and they like to play with their new friends.

On the same day, I also overhear passengers talking about a steak place called the Office, in New Jersey.


“That steak was voted the number 1 steak in the jersey.”

If anyone knows about the Office steaks, can you confirm for me please?

No comments: