Tuesday, November 25, 2008

Wide awake in Ohio, the state that made it all ok

At midway airport, I perfectly timed it out so that I could enjoy a nice Potbelly's dinner, ideally pre-flight.  Thankfully, after navigating my way through the "expert" traveller line of security, and being hampered only by my large earrings and not by the unrevealed liquids in my carry-on...I arrived at Potbelly's, ordered (skinny turkey, with mushroom and provolone, on wheat), had them doctor it up (yes, everything except hot peppers. I had them add the mayo, and man, it's really a different sandwich with the mayo. It's so so so good) and then went to head to the gate. And jumping jackpot--I was at gate B-1, right across from Potbelly's!  I knew it was going to be a good flight.

I opted to save my cookie and enjoy it with my cup of coffee on the plane. That coffee I had planned on in my caffeine intake.

Then, I landed in Ohio, and was delighted to see Vanessa Bayer as I bustled my way out of Cleveland Hopkins.  She's a Chicago improviser, and I think, early on when we first met, we talked about both being from the Cleveland area.  Anyway, she was on her way home, so was I, but it was a delight to see her.

But then, no Eldridge of any kind to be seen at our secret Eldridge pick-up spot (departures, directly under the Southwest Air sign, shhh..don't tell anyone...but it's been our spot for at least 20 years).

Turns out, my mom thought I was coming in tomorrow morning. And she was correct. At one point in my thanksgiving travel plans, I did consider coming in on Tuesday morning.  What a dumbass move that would have been!  I would have had to get up at 4 for a 6:30 am flight..probably even sooner then 4. No way Jose. So, I changed it to the night before, and here I was.

Thankfully, my dad hopped into the car, and I had a nice long article to read in newsweek (they had a dedicated staff who did all this behind-the-scenes reporting that they are only now writing about after the election--it's fascinating), so waiting was no trouble.

Which brings me to my point---there was a Starbucks kiosk right there--and at my dad's suggestion "Get a coffee, or better yet, a bourbon"  I decided to get a decaf coffee.  But now, I am wide awake in sleeptown, so I'm thinking, the bourbon would have been the better choice.  I think they served me decaf. I wasn't paying much attention, and in a burst of holiday spirit, I was very enthusiastic with the tired, dragging worker, despite the fact that she took a while to wait on me because she was refilling coffee grinders, and jawing away with her Hopkins co-workers.  So, she may have made me a caff instead of decaff out of spite or in despite of her completely unmasked annoyance at my cheerful chirp of a greeting/order.

So, I'm home, in my sister's bedroom (it's technically know the guest room, but I always think of it as Kitty's room from High School), and am pretty awake.

I did enjoy an Edmund Fitzgerald's with my mom as we watched House Hunters, International.  They always buy the place, and then the gal gets pregnant and they want to add on to the terrace.

Anyway, even after reading the paper, I am still wide awake.

And I am in Ohio.

Happy Thanksgiving!

No comments: