Friday, December 5, 2008

I admit it

I will read celebrity gossip.  I'm fine with it.  In fact, I have an argument in my head that the way women socialize is to exchange information about themselves and others, so celebrity gossip is an extension of that behavior.  I'm not saying it's a good thing---I don't think it would be fun to be someone who is gossiped about---but I do know that US and People are especially popular/marketed towards women my age--ladies in their 30s and 40s, particularly moms.  

So, I *theorize* that with interaction limited (staying at home, or working, but not really going out so much and rushing home to take care of baby), that these women are looking for ways to connect, and turn to connect via role models like them.  That's why the celebrity print media focus SO much on relationships, marriages, and babies.   For real.  Just take a minute, and look at the Star, US or People at your local newsstand---it's all about who's doing what with who.

Anyway, having said that, I still will say I read that shit.  I'm not going to lie, I do.  

Right now, the gossip is obssessed over A-Rod and Madonna.  But, in almost every account of their burgeoning love, it references Madonna's arms and face, insulting them for aging.

But in the same source, it will then also insult Nicole Kidman for looking preternaturally young.

Which is it, celebrity gossip?  Aging without shame, or aging and shooting yourself up with chemicals?  What do you want from us?

Thank you , that is all.

No comments: