Saturday, December 13, 2008

oh boy!

I've been spending time with Daphne,  my roommate's super-niece, since one of her moms is pretty sick right now.

Daphne is at a hilarious age whereby she is a sponge and repeats everything you say.

So, I've recently taught her these gems, and she repeats them back to me like a little puppet:
--How to throw snow and watch the flakes fall in the sun
--How to make her lips stick out like Mick Jagger when she hears a stones song (I never did get into the solo mick stuff)
--I asked her the name of her new Christmas baby doll, and suggested that she call it Becky.  She agreed!!!  Now she's got a squishy, Christmasy doll that she uses for a pillow and calls Beecky.
   
Editors note:  When my sister Beth was pregnant with Ali "this is bullshit" Gawen, I kept suggesting that she name her li'l Becky. In my mind, it was a bit until one day after Allison was born, Beth brought it up and said it was a LOT of pressure from me.  At the time, she was nursing, which always results in her getting pissed at her sisters, so I tried to take it with a grain of salt.  I mean , nursing is good for the baby, but it makes sisters BITCHY.

And my FAVORITE thing Daphne's picked up from me is the expression "Oh Boy!"  Yesterday, girlfriend was NOT interested in a nap and consequently, I did not get my afternoon nap, either.

Yes, I do nap at the same time as the baby.  Heather has to leave at 715 in the am, so I get up around 615 to get over there and if Daphne's sleeping, I'm sleeping.

But, she wouldn't go down.  She wanted me to come into her room, so she was trying to offer me incentives for coming in to get her.  She started calling out "Beeky?  Beecky?". Then, she "read" her book (I mean, I'm not stupid, I know she's not really reading out loud to me.  She can't read yet and she still can't even get her colors right.  For real, like that reading out loud is going to trick me.)  And then, her little fingers come under the door frame...nope.  But then, here's the thing that sort of killed me,  she started to say "Beeky!  Beeky! Oh Boy!  Oh Boy"  Oh Daphne!  By then, Heather was home, so she went in and calmed her down.

I went and saw Milk, which was very good. It has Shaun Landry, an old-school improv lady in it.  She's got her hair in a fro and she's wearing a very tribal African thing and nodding along with Harvey Milk at a press conference.  It's a very important moment, but Dori and I just bust out laughing to see Shaun.  She was great, of course, but it surprised me and then delighted me.


I've certainly got the Christmas Spirit this year, mostly because I'm really bored (see the last boring entries on being bored and they are boring).  Today, after rehearsal (I am doing some stuff!), I went to the grocery store and bought food like I'm a suburban mom.

A lot of it is comfort food, because it's gusty out, and I was hungry.  Smoked Sausage (I'll make the with saurekraut on New Year's Day...hmmmm), two pieces of porterhouse, beef cut into stew pieces (I'm making Stroganoff in the slow cooker tomorrow) and lots of produce.

And now, I just took a shower, lathered myself with my $24 dollar body butter and am sipping on my coffee.

Nmmm Yummm purrr purrrrr  purrrrr

Next week, I'm going to make BUCKEYES!  And maybe some no-bakes!


No comments: