Thursday, July 21, 2016

THIS BEACH SUCKS

7/21/16
At the same time I am gigging, I am also training for a Triathlon, and hanging out with my family here in Northeast Ohio.

So, I took Monday off, and opted to go check out the Foundry, the new gastropub in downtown Elyria. It’s at the site of the old Moss’, an old Elyria chestnut of a restaurant that was there for years.  At one point, some tv show came and re-tooled it try to save it from failing. I guess it didn’t work?  Anyway, in it’s place is a lovely, charming, delightful spot and I went with my parents and 2 sisters.  We all got salads (ever since Kitty lost a ton of weight, I think we are locked in to a silent but clear weight loss competition) and my parents split a burger.  This is their favorite food strategy---and it’s pretty smart as portions are usually pretty large.

The family friend who owns this place popped by our table a few times, and we all vowed to come back for the bloody mary brunch after the Tri next month.

(My family may, at times, plan our social outings around drinking)

I also biked the path between Elyria and Oberlin (rails to trails y’all!) and it was a damn delight, per usual.  I love tooling around Oberlin and surrounding enviorns.

And after lunch, Beth and I decided to go swim in Lake Erie, to practice at the beach where the Tri will be. Ugh, it’s a terrible beach, filled with rocks of varying size in the water and when you do find the sand, it’s like mud.  We swam back and forth a bit, with Beth exclaiming the whole time “This SUCKS!”  She’s right---last year the Tri was at Linwood,  a tiny little old-school lake resort, and we LOVED it.  This is not going to be the same and we are disappointed. 

Later that night, we saw Ghostbusters in Oberlin---and as much as I was rooting for some “girl power” we ended up feeling pretty bored.  I guess I wanted a montage of the Ghostbusters successfully busting some ghosts all around NYC?  And maybe a romance like Bill Murray had with Sigourney Weaver instead of some weird Hemsworth story line?


Anywho, we ended the night with beers on the patio, and Beth saying “I told Matt when I got home—that beach really SUCKS, but I’m still going to do the Tri” so I guess we are still doing the Tri.



1 comment:

Unknown said...

This is fabulous! Lovjng this so much! Good luck with your training!