Wednesday, July 27, 2016

"You're not the only one who can take a cat nap"

7/27/16

I left Ohio last Friday with 2 nieces in tow (ages 10 and 13).  They are cousins and get along pretty well.  On the drive there, we were delayed quite a bit because of construction, so we all sang Wizard of Oz songs, as these ladies had just been in that show at Pioneer Theatre (the summer theatre camp in Elyria, my hometown.  It’s celebrating it’s 40th anniversary!  I never got to do it, but my brother did, as well as my bffs Kristin and Amy.  I’m not too bitter when I go to see the shows, but I do carry some resentment in my heart #blessed?). 

They shorten the name of it to “Pioneer”, and can talk for a long time about who is who, and I’m so happy they get to live out my childhood dream. 

The older one loves Hamilton, so we made that our jam, too.

Upon arrival, I was so glad they were here to help me unload my bags that I always overpack when I go home in the car.  They are hearty Eldridge stock, so are good little pack mules in to my condo.  And the older one folded all my clothes---she did a great job, too.

We had a blast!

We slept in, hung out, avoided thunderstorms while attending an amazing block party, walked Pickle a ton, made 2 batches of homemade ice cream, played cards on the roof deck, went to the beach but couldn’t swim because of the poop water, went to Mariano’s AND Sparkle Target, made our list of things to see and do in Chicago, went to the saddest splash pad I’ve ever seen, and then finally got ice cream at Dunkie.  We also secured permission for the 10-year old to watch Glee, and had a ball dancing and hanging.

During the giant storms Saturday and Sunday evening, they introduced me to “Once upon a Time” and I LOVED it!  The younger one kept trying to spoil it, but the older one shut that down quickly.  Those guys are 2 of 8 girl cousins, and are entangled in a 8 cousin girl knot that no one can unravel—but these 2 have a good dynamic outside of that rat’s nest/group of pals.

Sunday afternoon they came to see Neutrino!  They LOVED it, and even helped pour water for everyone as they entered.  Such helpers.  Of course, I am completely biased!

(plug for Neutrino:  https://www.laughoutloudtheater.com/chicago/show/12-neutrino-project-the-instant-movie)  Please come!

Monday morning was especially nice, as it was the first Monday morning when I was downtown, and not working.  What a treat!  We hung out at the dog beach and then drove downtown with Pickle, while I swam what felt like an ocean but turned out to be 558 meters.  Ohio street beach has some ok lane markers you can follow, but no measurement is indicated, so I walked the path I had swam to get an estimate.


We were all hungry and so we drove back home, and 10-year old niece petitioned for Glee watching---which we did.  She also took a nap, and when she woke up she declared “You aren’t the only one who can take a cat nap, Aunt Becky”.  Right she is, she comes by it naturally.  Another BFF told me in Texas “Napping is your superpower”.  Right she is.




No comments: