Monday, August 29, 2016

Hipster Foosball tables can't make up for a shitty job

I gave a talk at a cool event called "Ignite".  It was all about the gig economy, and how I'm trying to swing it for myself.  You create a digital slide show and it auto advances as you present.  My first slide was of a bunch of tech workers hunched over their computers with a foosball table in the foreground, and read "A hipster foosball table can't make up for a shitty job".  That got applause from the attendees, a hundred or so tech/writers/coders/engineers, etc.

It's an awesome thing, and the next one with a new lineup of speakers is on September 27

http://www.ignitechi.org/

I keep thinking lately about what my goals are in life---and how lucky and privileged I am to be able to take this break from the real world and dive in to gigging.

(I also think about how hard I've worked to get here, too, don't worry that I've suddenly turned Yoga/Actressy modest!)

Anyway, it's Monday and it's an interesting week.  I started teaching at Second City and tonight is week 2.  The general assignment for writing level 1 is WRITE more, and write some scene starters.  I am trying to re-learn that lesson myself.

I won't start working my maternity leave gig until next week, unless the lovely lady I am covering goes in to labor.

Which means, I've had 2 months of this gigging life.

In that time, I've ubered and lyted, taught improv, led a creativity/brainstorming session, taught writing, had my first Mind Gym coaching gig, performed my first piece at Paper Machete, wrapped up an improv show, run 2 tris, babysat, worked for a Gluten Free Bar company doing nutrition database work, had one Bumble date, booked new health insurance, nagged my old job for my commission, eaten my way through my refrigerator and cupboard, blown off ww, and spent a lot of time with my dog, family and friends.  I also have slept in a lot, improved my mind NONE and listened to the entire catalog of an amazing podcast "Again with this, 90210."  It's great to bike to!

http://previously.tv/beverly-hills-90210/awt-90210-s04e30/

It's been a pretty great 2 months, truth told.

And this is my first completely free week, aside from teaching tonight.  It's also my birthday on Thursday, so I am rolling with the chilling.


No comments: