Monday, August 15, 2016

I hope it get it!

Meanwhile, back in June...

I’m in day 4 of intense training for a potential gig.  The actual job itself would be AMAZING!  This company is hired to go in, and do 90-minute fast training sessions for corporations.  Topics include Storytelling, Feedback, learning how to have tough conversations, and more.  I really hope I can show my stuff because I think it would be a good good fit.  

(That seems so braggy--but I am doing my best to not waste energy on worrying about being humble in my own mind. You gotta know what you can crush!  For me, it's not paperwork. But it is stuff like this!)

It’s not paid work for the training, rather, it’s a week long certification program.  I bribed them today with cheese and caramel mix popcorn from Mariano’s (Which is cheaper than Garrett’s and WAY better).

We are tucked in to a generic Marriott out by O’Hare---and it’s hilarious as we are in a “salon” in the only unused room available in the conference center.   The current conference is “the Metal alliance” and we are surrounded by dudes in pleated pants.  There are 6 of us in the certification, and the dudes for the metal alliance keep nodding at me, thinking I must be part of the industry. I nod back and say "HI!" because why make this weird?

I stole one of the Metal Alliance conference agendas...here are my favorites of the breakout sessions:

ROOFING COUNCIL (I keep reading that as Roofie! With a dedicated Council of various organizations coming together)
RETROFIT COUNCIL (Like Retro furniture! But probably how to use metal in an existing structure)
METALCON LIAISON COMMITTEE (this committee is working to make METALCON 2016 the best METALCON ever and advance the interests of the metal construction alliance)
LUNCH ON YOUR OWN (Good luck SUCKERS!  Rosemont is not exactly walkable and the parking lot is awful)
ACCESSORIES COUNCIL (Pearls for spring, jewels for the holidays, metals ALWAYS)
IMP COUNCIL (Long live Tyrion!!  I predict he will be the Hand of the King one day)

It makes me think of the start of the short story—“He broke up with me in the back of the Grand Ballroom at the Marriott O’Hare.  I was a Gen x, pretending to be a Gen Y and he was a millennial.

He was the designer, and I was the writer for a metal magazine.  We had hooked up the year before at the BIG CONFERENCE (at the Sheraton Ohare) and had been banging in the server room for the past 11 months.”


I need to go back to studying for my final presentation!

No comments: