Tuesday, August 16, 2016

Um, what do you do?

I've had a lot of jobs this year.  I hope LinkedIn looky-lous don't think I'm a flake, but I think my job picker was off.

I had a job last year for 5 months--and it was pretty good in a lot of ways, and awful in some other ways.

I needed a ton of education on the product, as I was moving from "Traditional" media to "Digital" media.  Big learning curve.

And, there was some, um, let's say MINOR drama in the Chicago office.  It involved a literal man-hunt for one of the reps who others in the office thought was lying.  So, they decided to try to catch him in his lie and wanted the rest of the office to play along.  When I wouldn't, things went south.

Last summer I was in meeting with VIP clients in Cincinnati.  I secured the meeting, had researched the client, knew their agency partners very well, as well as their brand plans.  But, some boss somewhere decided that a big whig would fly in and present.  So, he came in, having never been to Cincy nor worked on this account (World's largest advertiser), and he completely ignored my direction on what to speak about, etc and just PRESENTED!!!  Here's the feedback we got after his first presentation:  "Um, what exactly do you do?"  My thoughts exactly.

After our second meeting, the client said:  "Listen Becky, you're the one who actually works on this stuff.  You know what to do--make your materials more succinct, precise and specific to our work."  I looked at that lady with eyes that must have screamed GET ME OUT OF HERE!  HELP!  

Our third meeting was margaritas where the big guy in "Agency/Brand relations" congratulated himself on a job well done, and asked why I was quitting.


No comments: